The citizens of the City of Diaspar believe their city is the last—but nobody can say for sure. A billion years from the present day, humanity has all but vanished—and nobody in Diaspar has left the city in millions of years. The last child born to the Diasparians, Alvin is curious about the outside world. He begins a quest to learn more about humanity’s past—and its future.
A billion years into the future, Earth’s oceans have evaporated, and humanity has all but vanished. The inhabitants of the City of Diaspar believe theirs is the last city, but there is no way to find out for sure. The city is completely closed off by a high wall, and nobody has left in millions of years.
The last child born in the city in millions of years, Alvin is insatiably curious about the outside world. He embarks on a quest that leads him to discover the truth about the city and humanity’s history—as well as its future.
The City and the Stars is a rewrite of Clarke’s first novel, Against the Fall of Night. While the author assumed that the old version would be replaced by the new version and eventually go out of print, he was surprised to find that the older version was popular enough to stay in wide circulation. Today, both stories are equally popular.
Any fan of Clarke’s would find this book a fascinating read, not just for the intriguing story and Clarke’s singular futuristic vision, but also for the purpose of comparing his approach to the same story at different points in his writing career. While The City and the Stars shares the general plot of Against the Fall of Night, many details are different—making an interesting study of Clarke’s progression as a writer.
ROSETTABOOKS BY ARTHUR C. CLARKE
- 2001: A Space Odyssey Read More
- 2010: Odyssey Two Read More
- 2061: Odyssey Three Read More
- A Fall of Moondust Read More
- Against the Fall of Night Read More
- Beyond the Fall of Night Read More
- Cradle Read More
- Dolphin Island Read More
- Earthlight Read More
- Expedition to Earth Read More
- Rama II Read More
- Rama Revealed Read More
- Reach for Tomorrow Read More
- Tales from the White Hart Read More
- The City and the Stars Read More
- The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke: A Meeting with Medusa, Volume IV Read More
- The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke: The Star, Volume III Read More
- The Deep Range Read More
- The Fountains of Paradise Read More