The citizens of the City of Diaspar believe their city is the last—but nobody can say for sure. A billion years from the present day, humanity has all but vanished—and nobody in Diaspar has left the city in millions of years. The last child born to the Diasparians, Alvin is curious about the outside world. He begins a quest to learn more about humanity’s past—and its future.
A billion years into the future, Earth’s oceans have evaporated, and humanity has all but vanished. The inhabitants of the City of Diaspar believe theirs is the last city, but there is no way to find out for sure. The city is completely closed off by a high wall, and nobody has left in millions of years.
The last child born in the city in millions of years, Alvin is insatiably curious about the outside world. He embarks on a quest that leads him to discover the truth about the city and humanity’s history—as well as its future.
The City and the Stars is a rewrite of Clarke’s first novel, Against the Fall of Night. While the author assumed that the old version would be replaced by the new version and eventually go out of print, he was surprised to find that the older version was popular enough to stay in wide circulation. Today, both stories are equally popular.
Any fan of Clarke’s would find this book a fascinating read, not just for the intriguing story and Clarke’s singular futuristic vision, but also for the purpose of comparing his approach to the same story at different points in his writing career. While The City and the Stars shares the general plot of Against the Fall of Night, many details are different—making an interesting study of Clarke’s progression as a writer.
No corresponding GoodReads review available.
ROSETTABOOKS BY ARTHUR C. CLARKE
- 2001: A Space Odyssey BUY NOW
- 2010: Odyssey Two BUY NOW
- 2061: Odyssey Three BUY NOW
- 3001: The Final Odyssey BUY NOW
- A Fall of Moondust BUY NOW
- A Meeting with Medusa: A Meeting with Medusa, Volume IV BUY NOW
- Against the Fall of Night BUY NOW
- Beyond the Fall of Night BUY NOW
- Childhood’s End BUY NOW
- Cradle BUY NOW
- Death and the Senator BUY NOW
- Dolphin Island BUY NOW
- Earthlight BUY NOW
- Expedition to Earth BUY NOW
- Glide Path BUY NOW
- History Lesson, Volume I: History Lesson, Volume I BUY NOW
- Imperial Earth BUY NOW
- Islands in the Sky BUY NOW
- Prelude to Space BUY NOW
- Rama II BUY NOW
- Rama Revealed BUY NOW
- Reach for Tomorrow BUY NOW
- Rendezvous with Rama BUY NOW
- Richter 10 BUY NOW
- Tales from the White Hart BUY NOW
- The City and the Stars BUY NOW
- The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke: The Sentinel, Volume II BUY NOW
- The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke: The Star, Volume III BUY NOW
- The Deep Range BUY NOW
- The Fountains of Paradise BUY NOW
- The Garden of Rama BUY NOW
- The Ghost from the Grand Banks BUY NOW
- The Hammer of God BUY NOW
- The Sands of Mars BUY NOW
- The Songs of Distant Earth BUY NOW
- The Trigger BUY NOW