The year is 2001, and cosmonauts discover a mysterious monolith that has been buried on the Moon for at least three million years. Written as a companion piece to the iconic movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, this groundbreaking work of science fiction explores the promise and threat of technological innovation—and the destructive power of nuclear technology.
The year is 2001, and cosmonauts uncover a mysterious monolith that has been buried on the Moon for at least three million years. To their astonishment, the monolith releases an equally mysterious pulse-a kind of signal-in the direction of Saturn after it is unearthed. Whether alarm or communication, the human race must know what the signal is-and who it was intended for.
The Discovery and its crew, assisted by the highly advanced HAL 9000 computer system, sets out to investigate. But as the crew draws closer to their rendezvous with a mysterious and ancient alien civilization, they realize that the greatest dangers they face come from within the spacecraft itself. HAL proves a dangerous traveling companion, and the crew must outwit him to survive.
This novel version of the famous Stanley Kubrick film 2001: A Space Odyssey was written by Clarke in conjunction with the movie’s production. It is meant to stand as a companion piece, and it offers a complementary narrative that’s loaded with compelling science fiction ideas.
ROSETTABOOKS BY ARTHUR C. CLARKE
- 2001: A Space Odyssey Read More
- 2010: Odyssey Two Read More
- 2061: Odyssey Three Read More
- A Fall of Moondust Read More
- Against the Fall of Night Read More
- Beyond the Fall of Night Read More
- Cradle Read More
- Dolphin Island Read More
- Earthlight Read More
- Expedition to Earth Read More
- Rama II Read More
- Rama Revealed Read More
- Reach for Tomorrow Read More
- Tales from the White Hart Read More
- The City and the Stars Read More
- The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke: A Meeting with Medusa, Volume IV Read More
- The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke: The Star, Volume III Read More
- The Deep Range Read More
- The Fountains of Paradise Read More